I needed a microphone for my video production and especially with social distancing I’m not using lav mics so a shotgun microphone is a great choice. I will explain why I went specifically for RØDE NTG.
RØDE NTG microphone can be put on top of the camera as it has a hot shoe mount but also you can put it on the stand if you buy an extension of the RØDE cable.
And by the way, don’t use just any jack extension, use RØDE one, otherwise you might get unwanted noise in the recording.
Before I dive into it, please subscribe to my channel to be notified on new tutorials I’m going to publish. Also you can find tutorials already published on filming, editing, audio, video, podcasting and some film reviews too!
The main features of RØDE NTG microphone are
- Revolutionary acoustic design, delivering unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound.
- Unique infinitely variable gain control for perfect recording levels.
- Digital switching – controls high-pass filter, pad, high frequency boost, and safety channel.
- Internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 30+ hours of operation, charges via USB-C.
- Auto-sensing 3.5mm output works seamlessly with both cameras and mobile devices.
- Also a fully featured USB microphone with headphone output.
It’s a supercardioid microphone, sometimes it’s called short shot gun, which means it’s less sensitive to sounds coming from the side and behind. I’m not 100% convinced on this feature but see more in my video: